Saturday, January 31, 2009

January 17th-another random day

Saturday January 17th, 2009

Today was different. I went wandering around Nairobi, the downtown area, and I got completely lost. Luckily I was with a local, but again...I was still lost...very very lost. I'm usually amazingly good with directions, I usually know where I am, and how to get back to where I was, but that was not the case today. It was wonderful. This place is utter chaos when you first look at it. Nothing makes sense. People are speaking gibberish rather quickly, and they understand each other, things get passed back and forth, bargaining is an important aspect of the entire culture, and I taught a local how to play chess. I have made some amazing friends already, and it's been wonderful. I don't want to go back. I could come here, and never leave. I would definitely invest in a pillow, and potentially a few more shirts and such, but moving here is definitely an idea. I want to do the summer semester. I'm trying to figure out what I want to do with life, the universe and everything in it. Engineering. Blah.

I'm kinda sick. I have a few symptoms that apparently that can be a really bad sign. I forgot to take my malaria pill for a week, so it could be a symptom of that, but I'm not gonna jump to any conclusions. Life is what it is, and if I have malaria, than it sucks to be me, but whatevs. I am gonna say that I don't really miss american food. Burgers or anything like that.


Things I have done in the first week...
-eaten camel
-eaten crocodile
-gotton lost in a foreign city
-bargained a carving down from 4,000 ksh ($50) to 200 ksh ($2.50)
-been asked out
-worn sandals for 1 week straight in January.
-had no money
-learned more Swahili
-gotten a new view of our country
-been congratulated on being from Chicago 13 times in one hour
-taught a Kenyan how to play chess
-been taught how to properly punch someone
-eaten really bizarre and unknown food
-played rugby
-laughed so hard I cried.
-Been informed that I need to learn how to dance in a club by a random kenyan chick
-become more hippy-fied
-made amazing friends
-drunken every night for a week, but not actually been drunk
yup...so much more. I need sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment